This app introduces students and teachers to Earth’s minerals in an interactive guide that illustrates mineral identification techniques. Topics explored in this app include: what minerals are and how they are different than rocks; how does atomic structure influence the formation of minerals; how and where minerals are formed; how the various types of minerals are grouped; and which properties of minerals can be used to identify an unknown mineral sample.
Beschreibung anzeigen Beschreibung verbergen
By viewing HD videos that demonstrate actual mineral identification techniques, the student will learn to identify, name and classify minerals just like a geologist does in the field. The app also includes practice mineral identification activities and a searchable database of more than 50 common minerals.
The app may be used to supplement your geology curriculum or can be used to support a complete lesson on minerals and mineral identification.
Features of the app include:
• hundreds of zoomable high resolution photos of minerals by Dennis Tasa;
• HD videos that demonstrate actual mineral identification techniques;
• an intuitive navigation style: swipe, drop-down menu, thumbnail gallery;
• a drop-down menu with audio controls, access to a glossary and the table of contents;
• narration that can be turned off/on;
• interactive quizzes that are scored with quiz results that can be copied, printed, or shared;
• essay questions that encourage critical thinking.
• a searchable database of more than 50 common minerals;
• a multi-step mineral identification investigation of an actual unknown mineral sample.
• completely self contained, no internet required.
Table of Contents:
• Why Minerals are Important
• Minerals and Rocks
• Elements and Atoms
• How Minerals Form
• Properties of Minerals
• Classifying Minerals
• Mineral Identification
• Common Minerals (Database)
Grade levels: 7-13.
Correlates to Next Generation Science Standards:
ESS2.A: Earth Materials and Systems
ESS2.C: The Roles of Water in Earth’s Surface Processes
ESS3.A: Natural Resources
PS1.A: Structure and Properties of Matter
Supports Common Core Literacy in Science Standards: